Customization: 1) At the beginning of the script from step 6, we have this section:

Saturday, June 20, 2015

A German BreakFast Story

Semolina Breakfast (For age 12 months+)

When I was cooking this breakfast for my son, I was thinking about our breakfast time while we were in GermanyThat was the time I compelled myself to learn the art of COOKING!. I had some ideas but did not have much knowledge. Few of my attempts were complete disasters, but slowly things were getting better and better. So, my German Breakfast Story is like this; everyone eats breakfast and it looks different around the world. I never had a breakfast other than our traditional breakfasts, even NO NO to Cereals too. So when I went to Germany, I was searching for the ingredients to make our traditional breakfast. It was not easy, since I could not speak German at that time, oh no may be two words, GUTEN MORGEN and DANKE, Hahaa. In the grocery stores there, mostly all the packages writings were in German. So the pictures of each packages usually hit on my eyes and one day I saw a package with name "couscous" and the picture looked like "semolina". Did not even think twice, I bought it and when I got home, I googled about couscous and realized that couscous is also semolina, but in granules made from crushed durum wheat. I was so happy and the very next day I tried to make my mother’s usual breakfast, Upma with this couscous. It worked, yummy and fulfilled breakfast. Since then, most of the weekends I used to make couscous breakfast. 
When I make this semolina breakfast,I usually make this for whole family. But this time when my son was not taking his usual breakfast I thought of making this in small quantity. You can add any chopped vegetables like green beans, carrot to this, but this time I made it without adding more ingredients, but served with blueberries.

Make this as Father's DAY Special breakfast and enjoy with family!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

Ingredients (For 1 serving)
Semolia/ Rava/ Sooji- 3 Tbsp, roasted
Coconut - 3 Tbsp, shredded
Ginger- small piece, crushed
Shallots or onion- 1 Tbsp
Mustard seed- ¼ Tsp
Coconut oil- 1 Tsp
Curry leaves (optional)
Blueberries- ~10

Process
Step 1: If your semolina is not roasted you need to roast it first. Heat a pan over medium heat and then add semolina. Keep stirring until they look dry and crisp. Transfer it to a plate.

Step 2: Heat coconut oil in the same pan and splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves, ginger and shallots. Saute until shallots turn transparent.
(If you are adding vegetables add them with shallots)

Step 3: Now add shredded coconut and stir for a minute.

Step 4: Add water (2 OZ) to this mixture.

Step 5: When the water comes to boil add required amount of salt and lower the flame. Add semolina to this mixture and stir immediately.

Step 6: Cover the pan and allow the semolina to steam for 3 minutes (stir in between).

Step 7: I usually make it dry since my son likes it that way, but if you want you can make it slightly soaky.


Delicious healthy semolina breakfast is ready to serve. Top with blueberries.

Ingredients:Semolina, Coconut, ginger, shallots, curry leaves

Heat oil and saute shallots, ginger and curry leaves

Add shredded coconut and mix them well

Add water, salt and make them to boil

Add semolina and mix them well. Cover the pan and cook it.

Semolina breakfast (Upma) is ready to serve!

Happy Cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment